Saturday 1 January 2011

Reflection and Anticipation

So here it is, New Years Eve 2010. It is at this time of year that taking a moment to look back at the previous 365 days in order to see what you have achieved can be beneficial. In looking back, we can also look forward, and use our experiences to create new goals for the coming year. Also, on this very night, the majority of us see in the New Year with a hideous amount of alcohol in our system and often don't remember the first few hours of it whatsoever. I intend to partake in this tradition, and in Seattle, Washington of the United States of America no less. Huzzah! Let's hope it's a good 'un.

So, last night, when I had our plush rented apartment all to myself, I reflected on my 2010 (with a glass of wine of course). And my oh my has it been a big one. This year, I realised my dream. On a train somewhere in the north of India and sometime in the middle of July, I decided I was going to be travel writer. Yes, I finally chose a career, and one that is incredibly hard to find success in. Well done me! But hey, I'm willing to put the hours in, and what's life for if not to enjoy and do what you love? I think with a little help from self-esteeem and determination, along with a little help from my friends, I could at least give it a shot.

Writing aside, this year i have travelled to three new continents; Asia, Africa and North America. Everytime I think of it in those terms my heart flutters a little, how amazingly lucky am I?! Onwards and upwards as they say, there's plenty more ground to cover.

As well as finding something I love to do, I have indulged in other people's happiness this year also. One of my oldest friends, Katie-Jayne Lewis, got married this year. I imagine it was the most joyful day of her life so far, but I have to say it was probably one of mine too! I've known her since we were seven, and after fifteen years of imagining our weddings days, she finally took the plunge, and it was utterly perfect. I wish herself and Rhodri a bloody good 2011.

A new arrival came into my life in 2010, in the form of little Leo Simon Foster. This kid is probably the most loved child I have ever known, with a family of around twenty of us keeping him safe at all times. If I ever feel down, a visit to Leo cheers me up without fail. So thanks go out to Joe and Laura for bringing this little hero into our world.

2010 will always be remembered for me as the first year I ever ran a 10k. About half way through this race, I decided it would be the only year I ever ran a 10k. However, when the endorphins hit their peak and my legs had a rest shortly after I'd finished, I was determined to do another.

Which brings me onto 2011, a year to be active. Not only will I be doing another 10k,  will be doing two. And then, in October, a half-marathon. Oh holy shit. Why on earth have I decided this I hear you cry?! Well, I can't really give you an answer. Why not?

As well as being physically active, my career is going to need some work too. Having run my bank account into the ground, 2011 will sadly not hold as much travel for me (I will be doing some though, you can't hold me down for that long...). So back at home I will be working myself into the ground instead, support and help from all of you out there would be much appreciated!

In an attempt to prepare myself the next big trip that is evolving in my head, I'm going to be learning Spanish this year. I'll leave it up to all of you to try and work out where it is I'm actually going...

No comments:

Post a Comment